How do I apply as a RYLA 5495 Junior Counselor (JC)?
If you attended RYLA 5495 as a student Delegate, you may apply for the District 5495 RYLA Program as a JC. Applications are open Sept 1 – Oct 13. NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE CLOSING DATE. To apply, please do the following:
- You MUST apply online. Go to the Junior Counselor application link on the RYLA 5495 website. Complete BOTH THE JUNIOR COUNSELOR APPLICATION AND THE HEALTH FORM. Make sure to attach a current JPG picture where indicated, labeled with YOUR name. Please submit a picture only of yourself…. Not a picture of you with your friends, neighbors, etc.
- You should receive an email copy of both your completed application and health form. PLEASE save this for possible future reference.
- If you will be 18 or older at the time or RYLA, you will receive an email from the District 5495 Youth Protection Officer, Jerry Hanen on how to complete information for a mandatory background check. You do NOT need to proceed with the background check information until you receive the notification email.
- You will be contacted in November by a member of the JC interview committee to schedule your interview time. PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL ROUTINELY AND REPLY IN A TIMELY MANNER. If you do not respond to email requests, we will assume you are no longer interested in being considered for a JC position.
- Following your interview, applicants selected to attend RYLA as a Junior Counselor, and those selected as alternates, will be notified in writing of their status, via email.
- If selected to attend RYLA, your commitment for the entire four day event is mandatory, as is the orientation held on the Saturday prior to RYLA. You will be responsible for your own transportation to both.